"Brian Day" - Thursday

Thursday we welcomed a pair of Brian's to our group.

The first, Brian Carwana, was from the Encounter World Religions Centre.  He took us through a session called "To See, To Be, To Do" that gave a very concise explanation of many of the world's religions.  He grouped them into three categories

Middle Eastern: Muslim, Judaism, Christianity
Indian: Jainism, Hinduism, Buddhism
Balance: Aboriginal, Shinto

Each family have many similarities and are quite different from the others.  It was a very broad stroke kind of presentation but was quite fascinating.

After a break this Brian then lead us through some of the symbols of 5 religions: Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Muslim, Sikh.  In many of them he actually dressed a volunteer in the clothing that is part of the tradition at hand.  What I found fascinating was the symbols that drew me toward my own tradition or may have even come to my tradition.

After lunch we were joined by the second Brian, Brian Lisson from Adventureworks.  He taught us about the theory of games in a lesson called "Effective Experiential Learning".  It was extremely interesting to learn more about how to insert play and games into the work that we do... not only with youth but also within all of our contexts... all I can say now is, "look out parish council, we're going to have fun together!

After class we went to the Chapel to attend the Convocation Eucharist presided by the Most Reverend Fred Hiltz, Primate of Canada and Archbishop Thabo preached.  We had to sit in the balcony but it was a wonderful celebration... even if I was stuck behind an upright piano the whole time.  Following the worship I snuck into the Sacristy so that I could say hello to my former Bishop.  I was quite moved to see him again.  He hugged me and asked after my family and rejoiced with me in the knowledge that I am enjoying my work amongst the people at St. Luke's.  At the reception afterward I was fortunate enough to get this picture with him.  I know Wendy Faye is going to be very jealous but fear not my dear wife, she sends his love and wants me to give you a big hug from him.

The evening was filled with skill building team games - basically we put the theory of early in the day to practice.

We concluded the day with a lovely evening devotion during which Jenny told us the Godly Play Story of The Exile.

A glorious day full of learning, celebration, and prayer.

Anon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I guess someone IS reading this blog after all...

19 March 2006 - The Third Sunday in Lent