Backblog

Sorry for the delay on posting about the goings on... sleep took precedence the last couple of nights.

Saturday saw us engaging in a Quiet Retreat day. It began with Judy giving us a very powerful demonstration of what to do with our brokenness using a glass jar and a watermelon. We can either use our brokenness to lash out and cut people (broken glass) or we can use our brokenness to reach out and feet others (watermelon). We journeyed down to a nearby river and discussed how we experience this kind of brokenness and each of us was encouraged to throw a piece of watermelon rind into the river as a symbol of letting go of that which is bitter and useless in our lives.

We spent the afternoon in silence and engaging in a number of workshops that various leadership team members provided. I offered to teach individuals about the nature and use of the sacrament of Reconciliation. I had two young women come and I taught them about what confession looks like and how it can be used in our spiritual lives.

Saturday night we all went to a local ice cream shop for some treats and fun.

Sunday we got on a bus at 7:30am and drove to Ancaster, ON where we went to a "High Ropes" course in the forest. It was a very difficult day for me as I am terrified of heights (I don't like to be this tall!) We learned how to safely belay people and then we began sending people up the various elements. I had made a promise to challenge myself to the best of my ability and I began that challenge by belaying lots of people. The weather changed a bit and a thunder storm came through and we had to stop for a bit. I was secretly relieve that this happened as it looked like the weather was going to prevent me from ascending into the trees. I was wrong. The weather cleared and we once again went back to the forest.

I did go up one of the elements. It was an element that pulled me up into the air. At first I pulled myself and then I needed help to go further. I went about 20 feet in the air and touched a very large log fixed between two trees. My goal was to touch that log and I did it. I was terrified the whole time and could not get down fast enough. Though we had a minor problem when I came down - Judy was belaying me and as I descended her hand got pinched in the belay tool and I was left suspended in the air for what felt like FOREVER! Once back on the ground I put myself back together and finished the day belaying many times.

The experience of the high ropes for me was profound. I had thought that when I completed the element I chose I would feel happy or elated or glad but I was none of these things I was simply relieved that it was over. I pushed myself a bit farther than I had intended and found where my limits are - then I went past them ever so slightly.

We returned home to pizza supper and concluded the day with a quiet Eucharist where I reflected on the nature of acorns, potential, strength and how to live what we are learning here.

Well, that's all for now... Monday we turn things over to the participants as they prepare to teach the group themselves.

Until then...
Elliot+

Comments

  1. Anonymous1:26 PM

    Good for you, Elliott! I'm proud that you were able to allow yourself to do the height.
    Love,
    Mum

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon for this week

I guess someone IS reading this blog after all...