Theatre and Theology

This afternoon we engaged scripture through the medium of theatre and storytelling. We were broken up into four groups and each given a biblical passage to act out in the genre of Medieval Cycle Drama. Each group had to become a guild presenting the passage in their own style.

Our group was given the passage of the visit of the Magi from Matthew's Gospel (2:1-12). The group I was found myself in was made up of four girls... and me. The guild that the group chose was "The Guild of Valley Girls". I can hear you beginning to giggle from here.

One girl was our narrator. Three of the girls were the Magi. I was King Herod. We all assumed the role of a "valley girl," or in my case a "valley boy." I'm not so sure if I was playing Herod the Jewish king or Herod, Queen of the Jews. I must say I had a hard time staying in character because I wanted to laugh too much at the reaction of those watching our little Cycle Drama. I'm pretty sure that very few people have actually thought to portray King Herod (slayer of infants) as an "Oh m'god" valley girl.

The rest of the troupes were equally as entertaining and thought provoking. Seeing the Canaanite woman pleading for her daughter through the medium of the Crocodile Hunter almost killed me!

What we learned was that stories are powerful and they are even more powerful when they become real in our presence.

That's all for now as I am very tired and in need of a good night's sleep.

Until tomorrow...

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I guess someone IS reading this blog after all...

Sermon for this week