More from DYC 2006

The ministry that I performed this year at DYC was that of Chaplain. I was present to the staff and participants for pastoral care, counselling, and just hanging out. As chaplain I had the opportunity to prepare our Bible Studies for both Saturday and Sunday. I was also afforded the honour of offering the homily at our opening service of worship.

After the opening service one of the participants came to ask me what I thought a leader was. She wanted me to expand upon what I had spoken about in my sermon that night. I believe her actual question was, "What do you think a leader is?" My homily, which was based upon my sermon for the 22nd of October, spoke about not looking at leadership through the eyes of greed, or what's in it for me. Rather I believe we, Christians, should all be leaders by example. Drawing others toward Jesus by living the lives that make this world a better place. Anyone can be a leader if they choose to be, simply by living the life that Jesus asks us to live - lives of love and peace.

The first day of this year's conference was filled with reconnecting with people I had not seen in a long time and reenergizing hope tank. When you live and work in a parish that has little or now youth involvment it is all too easy to lose hope for the future of our church. But that hope can be reignited when an event like this is held.

What I have come to learn is that the Church is in good hands as long as those who attend events like DYC are supported, listened to and treated with equality. The moment we treat our young people like second-class citizens is the moment our hope is diminished.

When we can let our light shine and attract others rather than blind or burn others then we will be true leaders in our church, our community and our world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I guess someone IS reading this blog after all...

Sermon for this week