DYC 2006 - Leadership

I have just returned from my fourth Diocesan Youth Conference. I am always moved by the level of excitement and energy that the young people of our church have when they come together for work, worship, study and fun. The closing Eucharist is always exceedingly emotional for me. I am often moved to tears to see over 100 young people praying together and affirming their faith in God, Jesus and Holy Spirit.

This year the theme of the weekend was Leadership using the phrase in Matthew's Gospel, "Let your light so shine before others that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." The participants were challenged to see leadership in a whole new way and that we are all leaders, if we choose to be so.

The keynote speaker, Ms. Judy Steers, told us that leaders are those people who help others to unleash their potential. And that the opposite of a leader is NOT a follower! The opposite of a leader is an "inert, apathetic, often complaining, bystander." We were all challenged to become involved and unleash our own potential and the potential of others.

In the days to come I will post some more of my thoughts around the weekend but for now just know that there are many young people in our church who are indeed leaders and they have the potential to become a great benefit to our church all we, older people, have to do is help them to unleash their potential!

Comments

  1. Anonymous6:18 PM

    Amen my brother! I can't wait to read your further comments

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I guess someone IS reading this blog after all...

Sermon for this week