A Letter to the Parish Regarding our New Office

9 July 2006
The Fifth Sunday after Pentecost

My dear friends in Christ,

"Ask, and it will be given to you; search, and you will find." - Matthew 7:7

It is with much happiness that I write to tell you all of an exciting new development in our life as a Parish. This past week I sought out and found a space for our Parish to use as an office. After hearing from some of you a desire to create such a space, both in my visits to your homes and in committee conversations, I decided to do some digging to see what might be available to us in our communities. I approached the Facility Manager, Brenda Fitzgerald, of the Buchanan Memorial Hospital and had a delightful discussion with her. Ms. Fitzgerald did all that she could to find a way to make this possible. With her permission to use a space in the Hospital, I then approached all four of our Parish Wardens to seek their advice and council. All of them, without hesitation, thought that this was a prudent idea and one that we could not afford to ignore. After their endorsement I then began the process of moving into the space that the hospital has so graciously donated for our use.

I believe that this is very good for our Parish and for the communities as a whole for a number of reasons. First, I believe that the hospital has long been in need of a permanent pastoral/spiritual presence for the patients and the staff. I have been acting almost as a chaplain to the hospital for the last two years and now I feel that this is being recognized in a formal way.

Second, since the birth of our daughter I have felt that it is time for me to try to better separate my home life from my work life. Having an office outside of the Rectory will help me to better organize my time and my talents in our Parish and in the communities I serve.

The new office is located in Room 1609 of the Buchanan Memorial Hospital (this is down the hallway from the Medical Clinic) and I will be sharing the space with the local Social Worker. I have arranged my schedule so that I will be in the office on specific days and times.

My office hours at this time will be:
Wednesdays 9am-12noon
Saturdays 9am-12noon
and other times by appointment.

We will see how these go and if I need to add more time or another day I will announce it. If you would like to contact me during these times please feel free to call me at 336-2619. As I am sharing this office the voice mail will only be for the Social Worker, if you want to leave me a message when I am not in the office please call the Rectory. It is my hope that I will have to add another day to the schedule, depending on how many people use this opportunity that has presented itself to us.

During these times I will be engaged in the administrative work of our Parish, preparing my weekly sermons, preparing for the liturgies of our Church and Parish, studying Holy Scripture, and spending time in prayer and contemplation. Furthermore, during these times I will be available to any of you who wish to drop by for spiritual care - this includes pastoral counselling and advice for personal problems - also this time is for you to discuss issues of the day, and voicing your concerns and opinions about our Parish and the church as a whole. All conversations held with me in the office, and at all times, are strictly confidential and I hope that you will feel safe coming to me in the days to come. So, please, drop by for a chat and a candy and know that you are welcome.

This space will be something I can use to council couples who are preparing for marriage, prepare families desiring to have their children baptized, meeting with small groups for planning events in our Parish, and a host of other uses that will present themselves as time goes by.

For those of you who may be concerned about possible financial costs to this venture, rest assured the establishment of this office will not add to the financial demands upon this Parish. The hospital has made this offer to us with "no strings attached" and I for one am extremely glad to accept. However if you have any questions or concerns please, by all means, come by the office and bring them to me.

It is my hope that this welcome news will be life giving and healthy for us as a Parish as we continue to follow our Lord and serve his people in this part of the world.

I look forward to welcoming you to our office space in the days ahead.

With God's blessings, I am,
Yours faithfully,
Elliott+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I guess someone IS reading this blog after all...

Sermon for this week