The hard thing is...

... creating a space to write about what I've done.

Ok, deciding to write my blog entries before I go to bed is probably not the best decision. The days are filled with tasks, reflection, tasks, eating, tasks, laughter, tasks and then off to bed. Thus I am going to have to find a different time to write to you all because when I get to look at my bed all I am really capable of doing is falling into it.

Let me look at my experience of Thursday. The afternoon was spent learning about an accessible means by which we can engage in theological reflection - using a hula-hoop. We all used the event of getting ourselves here to reflect upon. I found it interesting in how so many of the stories intersected at various times.

My trip, as you have read, was not the smoothest... but it was not the most complicated either. Emma actually got here - all the way from England - without a ticket!

Rather late into the evening the team gathered in the living room and we formed a drum circle. The only drum circle I have ever been involved in was at the Diocesan Youth Conference with 100 people all merrily banging away on a drum or 5gal bucket. This experience was completely different.

The six of us each chose an instrument or two that looked like it would suit us. We turned out all the lights and then began to make music together. Judy's theory is that the way we behave in a drum circle is the same way in which we behave in community.

The experience began with Jenny trickling an instrument that sounded a lot light gentle rain falling on a tin roof. Judy gently added another voice that sounded like the ocean lapping against the shore and then she began, properly enough, to gently lead us with a big drum that she kept tempo with. Then each of us started adding our own "voices" as we felt comfortable. I chose a thin flat drum and started to massage it to thy and create the sound of wind through the leaves (one of my favourite sounds). Each person added their offering in their own time and the music that was created was quite intense. Each of us had to listen to the others and feed off them, take our cues from them and be who we are for them in return.

It was a bit odd near the end as I felt the need to begin to massage my drum once again, just to see if that would be the beginning of the end. I was quite content to come back to the rhythm I was trying to make but I didn't need to. The rest of them followed my lead almost seamlessly and the piece was brought to a gentle end.

I was speechless for a few moments as I had found the experience to be very emotional and almost overwhelming. I took the lead of a piece of music and the others followed. I'm still unpacking what all that means for me and my ministry and my time here it was a humbling experience.

... until my next opportunity then...
E+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I guess someone IS reading this blog after all...

19 March 2006 - The Third Sunday in Lent