The Day Before...

Friday we mostly told each other stories - Godly Play stories. We began with Janet telling us the Story of the Great Family. If you've never seen a Godly Play story then you have been missing something truly remarkable. Janet told us the story of Abram and Sarai and how they went out into the desert to see if God was there... and God was! Each story ends with a series of "wondering" questions: I wonder what is the most important part? I wonder where you are in this story? It truly is a remarkable way to experience the stories of our faith.

Then after a short break it was my turn. To let you know how I was feeling I will quote to you from the journal entry I made early this morning as I contemplated Psalm 66:1 which says, "Be joyful in God, all you lands: sing the glory of his name; sing the glory of his praise."

"Whenever I do something I've never done before I am full of trepidation and a little fear - ok, I'm nervous - downright nervous. What if I forget a bit? What if I tell it wrong? What if... ? But wait, those questions only detract from what I should really be doing and that is be joyful in God. Let God's story, that I know so well, flow from me. Sure the memorization is hard, and yes I may forget some, AND I will still sing God's glory in what I do. Godly Play... here I come!"

So I told the Parable of the Mustard Seed. I rushed the first bit because I was nervous but I quickly settled into the experience. I must say I was more than a little surprised that I did in fact remember it all. The time of feedback from my peers was good and useful. My voice was good and not "preachy" or overpowering. My love of this particular parable was very evident and it helped the telling of the story. All in all it was a good experience and one that I look forward to doing again.

We had lunch – I barbecued some lovely sausages – and then there were some errands to run. Janet and I went to the grocery store to get food so that we can feed the hungry mouths that will be joining ours on Saturday. It was an adventure to be sure.

We had two more stories before the day was out. Jenny told the story of the Exile of the people of God to Babylon and Su told the story of Samuel. Both were far more involved than the one I told and I was in awe of how well they did.

After the stories we went out for dinner – yummy Mediterranean food!! After stuffing ourselves we went bowling… yup, bowling. Now for a good Cape Breton boy like me you expect bowling to be “candle pin” bowling with a ball that actually fits in your hand. Guess what… not here! It was “10 Pin” bowling with balls the size of your head. There was much giggling and fun had by all.

Then we went to the campus of Western University and I was introduced to a tree. It was one of the oldest trees I have ever seen. A giant copper beach tree, that was at least 10-12 feet in circumference. I spent a long time, under the light of the full moon exploring the base of the tree; while others clambered up into its sturdy branches. Finally we sat beneath the tree and we were invited to “Tell us and God” some things about the day. I was asked to tell God and my friends what was the most surprising thing today. I answered that I was a bit surprised I remembered the whole story this morn.

Now it is late, I am tired and tomorrow it all begins. I believe we are truly prepared to welcome the participants and show them what God’s love and what community can really look like.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I guess someone IS reading this blog after all...

Holy Week Sermons